Why do canned tomatoes supposedly last so much shorter than store bought pasta sauce?

Last week I opened a can of crushed tomatoes for pizza sauce. I just added some olive oil and dried seasonings. When you google "how long do canned tomatoes last in the fridge", everything seems to say less than a week.

However, when I buy a jar of pasta sauce, I keep it for literally months in the fridge without any issues. Isn't that essentially just canned tomatoes with other stuff in it? The only preservatives in the store bought stuff are salt and citric acid, both of which are in a normal can of tomatoes.

Why is the shelf life of one so much shorter than the other? Also, I've had my homemade sauce in the fridge for 10 days now and it looks and smells completely fine. Is there any risk in eating it?

submitted by /u/throwaway_990428
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/MdF8X4m

Comments