Sweet Rice Flour + Rice Syrup = Runny ?

Had an odd result while trying to make kimchi paste, maybe someone can help me understand what might've caused it?

I heated up 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour + 1 cup water and it thickened up quickly. But once I added 2 tablespoons of Korean/brown rice syrup, it turned watery and never thickened back up, no matter how long it simmered. It never turned into a paste. The recipe instructions:

"In a small pot, combine the sweet rice flour and 1 cup water and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly to avoid clumping. It should come to a gentle boil in a few minutes, at which point it will begin to thicken. Add the brown rice syrup and cook for a little longer, continuing to stir, until the mixture thickens into a paste. Remove it from the heat and set aside to cool."

Repeated attempts were still runny, so I gave up and ran with it since it seems this part isn't crucial to kimchi making, but it's niggling at me.

Maybe I used the wrong ingredients? I used Mochiko sweet rice flour and Ottogi rice syrup. I'm not sure my syrup is technically "brown" rice syrup; I chose it over the others at H Mart (Korean grocery store) because it seemed less artificial - the only ingredient listed is literally "Rice". Could that be where I went wrong?

submitted by /u/bichat_realness
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/WtKCUIr

Comments