homemade spaghetti too brittle, but same dough made perfect fettuccine

I made homemade spaghetti using 2 cups of 00 flour, 6 egg yolks, and water for hydration, and dusted in semolina after cutting.

I rolled it out to the thinnest setting on my pasta machine, and then put through spaghetti cutter. I hung it up to dry on a clothes hanger (don't judge me, I washed it). While drying many of the noodles becan to fray out and become very dry/brittle. I couldn't take them off the hanger in one piece and about 1/3rd broke and fell to the floor. Once hydrated in the boiling water, they were fine (albeit most half their original size).

I also made fettuccine out of the same dough ball when I started having my doubts about the spaghetti, and it came out perfectly fine (although dried on a baking sheet in an off-oven rather than hang-drying, so less surface area).

Should spaghetti not be rolled out so thin? Do I need to add more hydration than other shapes? are there other things I'm missing from this equation?

I only let it dry for about 6-10 hours, how long should I typically let homemade pasta dry?

I also noticed black spots on my dough after refrigerating. Is this likely just iron spots from having a yolk-rich dough? (I made dough ball, cling film in fridge, then next day rolled/cut/dried)

Thankyou!

submitted by /u/hukgrackmountain
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/0ZITD3R

Comments