Cornstarch pudding mysteriously goes runny

Hello all, this is my first post here so I hope I am respecting the rules… here goes:

I’ve been making this simple chocolate pudding that’s thickened with cornstarch for ages and never had issues with it. Some time ago (don’t remember how long exactly), without knowingly changing anything, it started going runny on me. Sometimes it would thicken up and then go back to being runny, and sometimes it would simply not thicken at all. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I started doing differently and what the issue might be. I love chocolate pudding and it’s driving me crazy!

Here is the recipe I’ve been using: 2 cups whole milk 1/4 cup cocoa Pinch salt 1/4 cup honey

I whisk this together over medium heat. At the same time, I make the cornstarch slurry using 1/2 cup cold milk and 3 Tbsp cornstarch, mixing it thoroughly. Then I add it to the warming mixture in the pot before it comes to a boil, whisking constantly as I do so, and then keep stirring until it’s boiling fairly vigorously. At that point I let it boil for anywhere from 1-3 minutes (I have tried different times to see if I was under- or over-doing it, but all give the same result) while continuing to stir, then take it off the heat and mix in 40g of artificially sweetened semisweet baking chocolate and a dab of butter. I try not to stir too much at that point because I understand it can break down the starch that has formed, but even when I have skipped adding the chocolate and butter at the end (which never caused an issue when I started making this recipe) and just stop stirring after 1-3 min it still goes runny.

I have tried: - changing the brand of cocoa and milk I use - buying fresh cornstarch and changing brands - adding the cornstarch slurry to the main mixture earlier (before it’s very warm) or later (just before boiling) - boiling it for more (up to 3 min) or less time (just bringing it to a boil and then taking it off the heat basically) - redoing the cornstarch slurry and adding it to the runny pudding and reheating, only for it to go runny again after thickening (if it does thicken at all)

Any suggestions or ideas of what might be going wrong? Much appreciated.

submitted by /u/vidadecati
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/6DVTm0W

Comments