Is ground beef supposed to steam?

My spouse bought a bunch of packages of this organic ground beef, but they are all vacuum sealed and when I took it out of the package it was the texture and consistency of toothpaste.

When browned it became more like beef, but in a purely raw form it was like toothpaste or slimy play dough. It also steamed so much the pan I had to blow on it to see the meat and continued to steam for about 5 minutes after it was done. I used the normal pan I use for other beef, was the same and even less weight than I usually cook, and I even turned the heat down after it started steaming so hard, so it cooked at half the heat I normally use, which didn't cut the amount of steam down, at all by the way.

Never had this happen with ground beef before. So, what is up with this beef, why is it so gooey and steaming so hard? Is it the cut or just low grade?

submitted by /u/yeahyeahiknow2
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/0BqLCiI

Comments