Brisket not getting tender?

I made brisket for passover last week and it wasn't bad but it didn't get as tender as I would like. I really want it to get to a point where, when I check it with a fork, it's like the brisket is barely even there. Or as close as possible to that level of tenderness.

This was my method:

  • Seasoned the brisket with salt and pepper then seared all over in a dutch oven

  • Set the brisket aside on a plate and sweat aromatics and veggies (onion, garlic, carrots, celery) + tomato paste in the same dutch oven

  • After a few minutes, deglaze everything with wine and beef stock

  • Let everything simmer for a while, also adding flavors to the braising liquid (honey, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar)

  • Put brisket back into the broth and transfer everything to a 250 degree oven

  • Let cook for 5 hours, flipping the brisket once per hour

  • Remove lid and cook uncovered for 1 more hour on 275, flipping at 30 minute mark

  • Separate brisket from liquid and refrigerate everything over night. Slice brisket against the grain and then warm it back up in the braising liquid.

I have a couple of guesses on what may have gone wrong and would appreciate any more hints:

  • I may have had too much braising liquid. The top of the brisket was peaking out but it definitely could have been less submerged. Could this effect tenderness?
  • Is 250 too low? I see a lot of recipes saying to do 325. I thought since I planned to go for a really long time I wanted to go lower but maybe I shouldn't have set it that low
  • Should I have just kept going? I really thought 6 hours would be plenty...
  • Any other ideas?
submitted by /u/dalastboss
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/yomfWAa

Comments