Why does my stir fry steak smell like ammonia?

This is a first for me. I make steak stir fry pretty often, but because of rising costs, I got a cheaper cut of steak than my usual. I’m no stranger to tenderizing tougher meats, but I usually just salt it liberally and let it sit and loosen the proteins before I cook it. Today, I decided to try something new and tenderize it with baking soda. I used 1.65lbs of steak and 2.5tsp of baking soda, tossed together and let it sit for 30 minutes before rinsing the meat and then marinating it. I marinated with soy, hoisin, salt, black pepper, red chili flakes, garlic and ginger for about 45 minutes. When I started cooking the steak strips in my cast iron, the smell of ammonia started drifting up. I removed it from the pan and smelled it in a separate bowl, still ammonia.

The meat was fine in look and smell when it was raw, and I didn’t notice anything strange after I marinated it. Is it the baking soda? Did it interact with something I wasn’t aware of?

I already tossed the meat out and I’ve never had any issues with salting for tenderizing, so I’ll continue doing that. I’m just really confused why it would have done this?

submitted by /u/AnOnionyPotate
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/BUMg6di

Comments