Why do breaded tenders cook fine but breaded thighs burn?

Hello, I am a beginner chef here. I currently work at a chicken joint where we sell breaded chicken breasts in sandwiches and what not. One time, I decided to marinate a bone-in chicken thigh at home and cook it at work. I put it in for the same settings as our chicken tenders and by the time it finished cooking it was black and burned.

At work, we marinate the breast in oil along with seasonings. When preparing for an order, we dip it into a buttermilk batter with eggs and seasoning and then flour it. Drop it in canola oil at 375F for 6:30 and it is fully cooked and not burned at all, a golden crispy brown.

At home, I marinated the thigh in my own buttermilk marinade with seasonings and hot sauces overnight. I took it to work, let it get to room temp for an even cooking, floured it, 375F in canola oil for 6:30. It was BLACK when it finished.

I later found out that I should be cooking the thigh at 325F (the whole idea of low temp to keep the outside from burning while still cooking the inside). But that question of why is puzzling to me? Why is it that the breast didn’t burn but the thigh did?

submitted by /u/TheMasterDungeon
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/9N7hdOm

Comments