Do any chefs get incredibly nervous staging/ starting a new job?

I get so much anxiety that I blank and I forget everything I’ve ever done with food practically and I can become so focused on my surrounding and the consuming feeling I shake or move nervously and it’s before resulted in injuries. It’s not as dramatic as I make it seem because I know how to hide all those things incredibly well but. I have to create 3 dishes for a chef and I think the idea of it needing to be perfect in all senses- (not overly complex but complex enough), the amount of time spent, how well it’s executed (seasoning, timing, and proper serving temps), everything coming together at the same time AND then on top of that People will be looking at me and speaking in a foreign language, the feeling that I’m in their way, that they view me as incompetent and stupid. How do I over come this to shine? The chef will of course be evaluating knife skills, speed, technique, cleanliness. They have a down stairs prep kitchen they barley use. Do I make the executive decision to just work down there without asking figuring the technique and time spent will show in the final product and the chef never listed where I work as a rule and because I know I’m at a clear disadvantage because of whatever this is. Social anxiety. Idk. I get nervous cooking for people I knows and have spent years doing what I’m told so my time cooking my own stuff is marginal. Also one of the dishes I wanted to do is heavily inspired by a restaurant that was formerly 4 blocks away. Is that too much of a sketchy move? Also should I have 3 different cuisines or all one style?

submitted by /u/Normal-Yesterday-759
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/d3QGUgW

Comments