Are some specific chicken breasts destined for failure?

I buy 3 packs of refrigerated chicken breasts from my grocery store (Safeway).

  • I flatten them with a tenderizer to about 1in at the thickest.

  • Put them in a salt brine for 1-2 hours.

  • Toss in some oil and seasoning.

  • Bake for ~22min at 375 to an internal temp of ~155 and let rest for 5 min.

Despite treating each piece the exact same way, ~1/5 of them come out bad. By 'bad', I mean that the meat has a weird crunch or toughness to it. It's somewhat edible, but clearly very different from what a normal chicken breasts feels like to chew. I often throw this piece out entirely if it happens.

All of these breasts are being prepped and cooked the exact same way, yet yield strange results.

Is this inevitable? Do I need to buy my chicken from a different source?

What is happening here?

submitted by /u/62not61not63
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/U19YTdk

Comments