Drying steak before or after seasoning +/- oiling - does the order matter?

Somewhat newish to cooking but have done a lot of research online (I.e. serious eats articles) about the myths and truths of how to season and get a good sear on a steak.

  1. Using a light coat of oil when seasoning helps the seasoning stick and get into nooks and crannies of the meat. Does it affect the rate of movement of the moisture in and out of the meat if you use oil or not? (Assuming waiting 45 minutes after seasoning before meat goes on pan)

  2. Assuming the plan is to wait 45 minutes after seasoning before cooking, does it make a diff whether I pat dry the meat before I season or after I season right before it goes on the pan as long as it is dried at some point before it goes on the pan?

For example: -pat dry, season with oil, wait 45m vs. season with oil, wait 45m, pat dry (And does the use of oil or not affect end result w getting a good sear)

  1. If I marinade instead of seasoning, I guess patting it dry before it cooks is a no brainer?

Obviously there are a lot of diff factors and ways of accomplishing the same thing, just wondering if I’m missing any key concepts here. Appreciate any input. Thanks!

submitted by /u/lannyhsu
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/ltAB3H7

Comments