Any tips and tricks for a good pan sauce?

I'm trying to level-up my cooking and one aspect I think can really help would be in the sauce category.

I can make a decent-to-good sauce if I focus on it as a totally separate component of my dish (a tzatziki when I'm making bikfteki, for instance) but sometimes I want to make a sauce from the remains of a marinade or pan drippings, and in those instances I tend to miss a bit.

Most recent example: I made some pan-grilled salmon that was marinated for about 15 mins. and then decided to make a sauce from the remaining marinade by reducing it in the pan with some cornstarch. The fish came out splendid but the reduction sauce was too salty to be considered a well-made sauce. The marinade was a garlic/lemongrass/chili sauce/ginger paste/soy sauce/sesame oil/fish sauce combo, for context.

I find this to be a common result in many of my sauces/reductions. They're way to salty or acidic, or they have virtually no flavor. Either result leads me to think that I could've just left it off entirely and saved myself that time.

Any quick tips or tricks I can keep in mind as a general approach to making sauces?

submitted by /u/TonyzTone
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3GGthsA

Comments