Why are my onions burning & how do I make perfect caramelized onions?

Hello! I use mirepoix veggies + garlic + tomato and/or mushroom & herbs as a base for several dishes. Due to a gastric condition, I can only eat a couple bites of food at a time & will ultimately puree the final dish. Even if prep as ring the ingredients for a pot of broth/stock, in my experience, tastes better the longer the ingredients are cooked apart & more uniquely. (Sometimes bones are used.)(I wish I could smoke different ingredients.) Even if I just add to the broth later & puree simple ingredients in a uniform dish, the flavor difference is abundant.

For example, oven-roasting til blistering the tomatoes, sauteeing the mushrooms with garlic, roasting the carrots & if I have time - garlic & onion - all add layers of flavor. If I just throw all of those ingredients in a pot raw to make stock, they won't have depth of flavor. What's killing my little endeavor is the onions. I don't know what I'm doing wrong when sauteeing them. I want to sautee them for long enough that they get quite caramelized... without burning. It seems like I come up short or torch them. :(

So far my best combination is a cast iron pan & the onions in beef fat, but sometimes I cook vegan or vegetarian food, & generally use grapeseed oil to keep the taste neutral & not burn the oil.

In your experience, what is the ideal amount of time to sautee small diced onions, in what material, & with what type of oil/fat, if you're trying to really allow the onions to darken without burning? I read the rules & hope this was specific enough. The recipe is simply "1 cup deeply caramelized diced onions."

submitted by /u/LittleYogaTeen
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/32HPMOP

Comments