Whisking meringue into boiling liquid/custard?

I‘m planning to make a bûche with an orange filling and the recipe instructs to whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks. So far so good. Then it instructs to whisk together orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, corn starch and egg yolks in a pot and bring to a boil. I imagine four egg yolks with 350ml of liquid won’t curdle. However, the recipe then instructs me to whisk in the meringue, keep whisking and then add bloomed gelatin and cool the whole thing in the fridge. The recipe doesn’t give any more detailed instructions, unfortunately.

I‘ve never heard of this technique before and I also don’t know if this even works. I imagine the meringue curdling before I can even add the gelatin like it does in îles flottantes. Is there anything I should be aware of? Also, is the consistency going to be mousse-like? And what is this technique called?

I‘d greatly appreciate some pointers.

Edit to say that this is the orange filling part, not the sponge part.

submitted by /u/WinifredZachery
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3sJJCc8

Comments