Scalding Liver - Purpose and Procedure?

I'm looking to make some braunschweiger and many recipes call to "scald [pork] liver in hot water for X minutes." There is no detail provided.

Googling around returns many similar instructions for various recipes utilizing liver but with no details. I have found a couple that specify it should be in boiling water--put in boiling water for X minutes, keep it moving, remove and cool quickly (I assume an ice bath).

I'm just looking to confirm that this is the consensus on how to properly "scald liver."

I'm also curious as to the purpose since I have little experience working with liver. Is it just a matter of helping remove less desirable parts of the exterior? A change in texture? A mellowing similar to soaking calf liver in milk?

Thanks!

(Edit: Clarification of searches)

submitted by /u/Draskuul
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/32jmupx

Comments