When smoking pork, why is the safe internal temp significantly higher than stovetop temp BUT this seemingly is not the case for chicken?

For thanksgiving I'm smoking a pork shoulder and a whole chicken.

Its my understanding that cooking pork on a grill/stove should be cooked to ~140-145F while chicken should be ~160-165F. When smoking pork, everything I've found said the internal temp should be ~190-200F but for smoking chicken, the internal temp range is apparently the exact same as the stovetop range.

Why is this? I know from using my sous vide that a killing safe bacteria is a function of both temperature and time, and that a lower internal temp is safe when sous viding because of the longer cook time.

I'm hoping someone can explain to me why pork needs to be cooked to a much higher temperature in a smoker than on a stove/grill but chicken does not.

A secondary question would be why does that seem to conflict with what I've been told about sous vide cooking? I would have assumed that because of the long exposure to low temperatures, the a LOWER internal temp would be safe to eat.

submitted by /u/-J-a-y-
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3cOzi9n

Comments