Questions after first Chocolate Mousse

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I have a few questions after making my first chocolate mousse following this recipe. I halved it, and followed everything as written, except for substituting Gran Mariner for the Kahlua and adding a touch of vanilla to the whipped cream. Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide!

  • I don't have a mixer, so I whipped the egg yolks with a wire whisk in a metal bowl. I actually whipped for quite a while, as I was concerned that they weren't doubling in size enough due to the manual process. I was actually surprised that the yolks became very creamy, and even more so after adding the sugar. What causes that?
  • How thick should the yolk/sugar/coffee/liquor mixture be after this step: "place your mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water and whisk the yolk mixture until it becomes very thick"? I don't know how to properly describe how thick I let the mixture become. It wasn't quite the "thickness" of honey, but perhaps a little less than that
  • After that thickened mixture cooled, it actually became even thicker. So much so that after I mixed in the chocolate, the resulting batter might be thought to have flour in it to someone who didn't know better (i.e. the cooled chocolate/yolk mixture was no longer liquid).
  • Thinking that I wouldn't get a light enough whip cream via hand, I put it my blender, gradually increasing the speed by one notch per minute over 10 minutes. Most of it never actually turned into whipped cream. I'm thinking that that could be due to it having a lower fat content (I got it from a local dairy, and it just said "cream", rather than "heavy whipping cream") and/or that the cream was nearing its expiration date. Or perhaps a blender (Vitamix) just can't make proper whip cream?
  • Due to the thickness of the yolk/chocolate mixture, I think the fact that the cream didn't really whip properly was good, otherwise I might not have been able to properly mix the two together? However the result is more like a pudding rather than a light and airy mousse.
  • I do not taste any flavour other than chocolate: no orange, coffee, or vanilla. Is the chocolate just too overpowering for the amount of other flavours used? Or do I not have a sensitive enough palette?
  • I'm used to seeing vanilla called for in most desserts. Was it not included here because of the other flavours?

Erm, well actually, this is more than "a few" questions as I look over it now. So thanks again for reading and letting me know your thoughts!

submitted by /u/WonderingAxolotl
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3I7upa2

Comments