What is happening to my donut icing?

I work in a donut shop and we usually make Icings a few days before we need them and then refrigerate. The night before a bake off we take them out of the fridge to thaw out over night and microwave them until they are warm and fluid enough to dip and pull donuts out of. We Usually only microwave them for about 1 - 1 1/2 minutes but after a while the icing cools and eventually settles to be to thick to use and I have to microwave again.

This is all fine but by the time I get to the last third of the cambro the icing starts to get grainy and a much harder set. The icings are mostly just purée/soy milk, powdered sugar, salt, corn starch, sometimes corn syrup and other flavorings. We usually store the icings in 6L cambros.

My original thought was just to store our icings in more and smaller containers so that we would avoid repeatedly microwaving parts of the icing that I don’t need at the moment but I’d also like a descriptions of what is happening physically. I am not super knowledgeable about food science or anything because I didn’t go to culinary school and am mostly learning on the job. Is the sugar in the icing caramelizing/crystallizing? Is there a way to avoid this? Thanks!

submitted by /u/notae5
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/2ZzJIGY

Comments