Trouble seasoning carbon steel

Hi everyone,

I bought a carbon steel pan recently and I set out to prepare it for use according to manufacturer instructions:

  • I put it in a 400 degree oven face down to melt off the wax it shipped with. While it’s still hot, I took it out of the oven and wiped it with paper towels until I was basically unable to see any more excess residue.
  • I put on a this layer of avocado oil, wiping it oven the whole surface of the pan while removing excess.
  • I put the oiled pan face down into a 400 degree oven again, letting it sit for an hour, and then turned off the oven and let it come back to room temperature with the pan still inside.
  • I repeated this oiling process 4 times now.

The problem is that the pan feels sticky to the touch. I’ve looked around on the internet to try to see what is going wrong and I’ve seen it suggested that this problem can be caused by not wiping off enough the excess oil before putting the pan in the oven. I think I was definitely somewhat sloppy with this step. I’m wondering how I should proceed here. Should I try to clean off the “botched” layers adding more layers of seasoning? Also, how do I make sure I’ve wiped off enough of the excess without literally wiping it all off?

submitted by /u/dalastboss
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3AK0mAX

Comments