Jarred Sous Vide Garlic - still good or not?

So about a month ago I had a weird time. We got some really bad news and I was functioning at maybe 30% of my normal mental capacity and attention to detail.

While this was going on, I was looking for distraction and had decided to make sous vide roasted garlic and to jar it. It kept me distracted for a while and my brother is a huge roasted garlic fan and I was going to give most of it to him.

Sous vided the garlic with olive oil and some smoked salt. Turned out great after 4 or 5 hours. Loved it.

I mashed the garlic in the sous vide bags until it was a lumpy paste and then piped it into some canning jars. Back into Sous Vide at 150f for 2 hours for the canning stage. Along the way I lost track of the recipe I was following and I'm sure it was meant to be hotter but shorter for the canning stage. (I wasn't at my normal attention level, life was busy kicking us in the gnads).

Can anyone let me know if these should be safe or of I need to ditch the whole batch? All jars look clean, no leaks, etc. My big fear is of course, botulism. I didn't add any acids to the mix. Originally it all would have been eaten in a week or so, but it's sat on the shelf now for a month due to A) real life went into hard mode for a while and B) as I grew less sure about it, I wasn't pushing to get it delivered. So nor I have 12 jars of roasted garlic that I need to make a decision on.

I know the obvious is "toss it and start over, because no risk like that is worth taking" but I figured I'd ask around first to see if the canning stage was ok or out of line.

Any thoughts?

submitted by /u/Boggleby
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3m6Uuf2

Comments