How do I use less oil?

I'm on a healthy eating kick so I'm paying more attention to the amount of oil/fat I use.

I often encounter recipes that suggest using e.g. two tablespoons of olive oil. When frying I'll often find this isn't enough to coat the pan (it'll pool around the edge or have streaks of oil across the pan) or whatever I'm frying it'll suck up the oil - I'll add more and the food will cook just fine and generally not come out greasy, but it's a lot more oil that the recipe. Even when I'm frying on a low heat, unless there's something in the pan like bacon that releases a lot of fat I'll find things sticking or burning unless I follow my gut and add more oil.

Likewise while roasting - I tried roasting pak choi following a recipe that called for coating them in half a tablespoon of olive oil, and I was sure it wasn't enough. Sure enough they came out a bit burned.

Is there something I'm missing? Are my pans too big? Is it the temperature I'm cooking at? I'm not normally fussed about the amount of oil I'm using to strike a balance, but if a meal's touted as 300 calories and I wind up using three or four times the amount of oil then it throws everything else off.

submitted by /u/SplurgyA
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3kOinc1

Comments