How to season frying pan when the oil just runs to the side?

I am new to the concept of trying to re-season my frying pans, and my understanding is that I put in a little oil and gradually heat it up to the smoking point, but whenever I try to put even a small amount of oil into the pan or spread it around with a paper towel, as soon as it warms up it collects and pools around the outer ring of the pan.

Should I put more oil so that the oil level is high enough to cover the whole bottom of the pan? (Or is there any reason I shouldn't do that aside from using more oil than necessary?) It seems like no matter how thinly I spread it onto the pan, as soon as it heats up, the oil just runs to the side, so I'm not sure how to make sure the whole pan is being seasoned.

If it matters, the pan I'm trying to use is ceramic, the burner is gas, and as far as I can tell, the pan is not warped beyond what it should be. It's not very old either, less than a year old. But nothing would stick to it when I got it and now it sticks often.

**Oh and also what oil is best for this? I read that vegetable oil is good because of the high smoking point so I bought it just for this.

submitted by /u/Ghiraheem
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/38eRsPx

Comments