Confused as to Why My Pear Butter Burned on the Bottom. Lack of Stirring?

This is my first time ever making a fruit butter of any kind (10 lb batch), and it was going very well until this morning: I had set my slow cooker on the lowest setting last night (penultimate setting from "warm," i.e.), and also set a timer for 10 hrs, yet woke up this morning to find small very dark brown, borderline carbonized globs in a few corners of the vessel (a select few areas were indeed black, too).

It's intriguing, though, because it seems that most of the "burning" happened in the upper left-hand corner of the slow cooker, with relatively minimal happening elsewhere; I say this is interesting because as I watched it cook for a little last night, I noticed that more heat was concentrated toward that aforementioned upper left-hand corner compared to elsewhere (as in, a slight boil there and nowhere else).

I was under the impression that I could just "set and forget" the mixture and let it do its thing, as it tends to be oft-repeated for many stews/etcetera made in a slow cooker. But I guess I was supposed to baby the cooking vessel all night or something (not fun obviously)? Or could part of this be attributed to the uneven heat of my slow cooker? Will be greatly appreciative of informative answers.

submitted by /u/burntlentils
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3yt53gD

Comments