Why did my key lime pie fail?

When my grocery order was delivered a few days ago, a few substitutions were made on ingredients I had ordered to make this key lime pie recipe (I realise this probably isn't the most traditional recipe, but that's a bit irrelevant here). The substitutions were "Light" condensed milk in place of full-fat, and whipping cream in place of double (Basically just lower fat cream in place of heavy cream, for those outside the UK).

I've made this recipe several times in the past and had delicious results, with a thick, firm-set cream that can be easily sliced. I wasn't serving this for anything special so went ahead and made it with these substitutions while not really expecting too much. As I kind of expected, it hardly set at all and the filling was still completely liquid when chilled.

So, my question is, why did this happen? I assumed the setting of the filling was due to the acid affecting the protein in the cream and condensed milk, though as far as I know there's little difference in protein content of the products I used and their full-fat counterparts, so is it more to do with a reaction between the fat and acid?

submitted by /u/thesnakeysnehh
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3ldPXc1

Comments