What happened to my pretzel dough?

Flair might not be right, but thats the best I got.

I use a typical soft pretzel dough recipe, nothing fancy. Flour, water, sugar, salt, oil and yeast. 1 hour rise, roll, baking soda bath, into the oven.

I was making a bunch of them for wrapping hot dogs and trying a cheddar jalapeƱo thing. When my second batch of dough finished rising, I had an emergency and had to leave for a few hours. So I kept it covered and put it in the fridge.

Cane home, took it out to get to temp. As I'm rolling the pretzels, the dough snake felt loose, as if it were semi hollow. I pulled one open, and it looked almost dry and stale in there.

I got stubborn and made them anyway. They are nowhere near pretzels, but turned into pretty decent bread shapes (they didnt hold their pretzel shape so I gave up and just threw them in the water).

My question is, was it the temperature change that made the dough behave that way? Was it the fact that I let these rise in the pantry instead of the oven with the light on (probably 80 degrees in the pantry, maybe 85)? I want to recreate this, I think I can do fun things with this particular texture, but since it was a total accident I have no idea what did it.

submitted by /u/Brianblaz
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/2TLBRDp

Comments