If I am canning pizza sauce from fresh heirloom tomatoes, should I cook the sauce down first?

First of all, YES I know heirloom tomatoes are not traditional, but they're what's available in my garden at the moment and I wanna try!

Second, after crushing the tomatoes, they are very liquidy - moreso than the San Marzanos I get canned. No matter what's traditional, I would cook this sauce down if I was going to put it on a pizza today. I'm afraid I would be left with a soggy mess if I didn't. However, I will be canning it so there will be some heat applied. Will that thicken it at all? If not I'd rather simmer it down a tad first.

Sorry, this will only be my second time canning and I'm still trying to get the hang of it! Thanks for any help! 🥰

submitted by /u/poop_dawg
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3lj0mD8

Comments