I blended my own chile powder in bulk for an event, and it's too hot. What can I cut it with?

I have an event tomorrow for which I'm making a couple hundred servings of vegetarian mixed bean chili. I bought a mix of dried ancho, arbol and guajillo chilies, as well as some Salvadoran relajo spice mix (mostly sesame).

Just cooked a test batch and it's far hotter than I had anticipated, so I need to cut it somehow.

I would just use less, but I had been planning on using it primarily as the thickener. We will have limited ingredients available tomorrow.

What would be add to the powder to bulk it out and tame it? I have quantities on hand:. cumin, garlic powder, oregano, flour, salt, sugar, black pepper, corn starch.

My mind has been going towards the flour and corn starch.

submitted by /u/Finagles_Law
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/375IrHW

Comments