I am helpless and have several questions about this recipe for a raspberry cake

Hi Reddit, I hope that you can bear with me with this one. It is the first time that I bake something that is not an undercooked brownie in a cup with the microwave, and I need to not mess this up.

So I moved out with strangers for work a few weeks ago, and when I moved in they offered me some simple chocolate cake that they had already made. As a thank you, and also because I'd like to, I thought about preparing another cake for everyone, before we all leave again soon. We work at a farm picking raspberries, so on my free day I'd like to come to work and get some fresh raspberries to use for the cake.

I tried to look for the simplest and most impossible to mess up recipe, with reasonably accessible ingredients, preferably vegan and with no alcoholics, and this recipe seems the best compromise to me (please suggest if you know something simpler). However I will need to make a few adjustments, because we are in the middle of nowhere, I get only one chance at catching the bus to travel to the nearest city with two semi-small grocery stores, and if I buy too many things I will just make my life more difficult once it's time to travel back home.

I'll try to write out my questions in form of a list so it's easy for you to address.

  1. The first problem is that there is no baking pan it the house that we are living in. The recipe uses a 20cm (8") baking pan, the only thing here that looks like it can go in the oven is a glass oval container. I cannot know if the shops will have it, and as I said it would be hard to bring with me. This webpage says that it is enough to fill the reference pan with water and compare it to how much the custom pan holds. So I come here asking if one of you fellow redditors would be willing to fill your 20cm baking pan with water to the brim and report back with volume and weight of the water (or let me know how I can find this information on the internet)
  2. One of the ingredients is oil. How do I know which type is okay? I currently have a bottle of rapeseed oil that I have used for cooking, is that okay or do I need to buy a different type?
  3. Sorry for the very dumb question. The first instruction says to grease the pan. Does it mean to just lay the same type of oil on the bed and walls of the pan?
  4. One of the ingredients is orange juice. I currently have a box of orange juice with pulp, do you think that will do or is the pulp going to cause issues? Do you suggest using a filter or buying normal orange juice? 5. One of the ingredients is baking soda, and since the recipe gives an alternative to it I thought about not getting it to save space. However I find confusing the way the alternative is written, what did they mean by "sub" 1 tbsp more baking powder? That's just short for "substitute", I need to go to bed.
  5. One of the ingredients is non-dairy milk. I am going to use the oat milk that I already have. The recipe says 1/2 cup or a tiny bit more if needed, how would I tell if I need more?
  6. One of the ingredients is vanilla extract. I was considering buying syntethic vanilla essence instead, because I've seen that the local one is packaged in a much smaller and cheaper bottle. The question is how much of it do I need, compared to the extract in the recipe? I tried searching online and I could not find two agreeing voices, so I am going to have to trust you.
  7. For the topping the recipe uses sliced almonds. I didn't find any sliced almonds in the websites of the local big chains, so I doubt that I am going to find any here. So I was considering using the same ground almonds used in the cake. In case I also don't find ground almonds, the recipe provides an alternative for the cake, but not for the topping. Could I just ignore the almonds in that case, or do you have ideas for what I could substitute it with?

I am sorry for the generally basic questions, as I said I am a complete beginner and really would not want to mess this up, so I prefer to ask rather than try and fail in this situation.

I hope you can address at least some of my questions, thank you!

submitted by /u/itsmeciao
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/2WGupul

Comments