How to make this Peanut Butter Bourbon sugar-free?

As a long-time peanut butter addict, the idea of peanut butter whiskey like Skrewball fascinates me. But it has a high sugar content which I don't want (diabetic).

I am looking to un-sugar/keto-ify this recipe for peanut butter bourbon. It uses three different kinds of sugar: white sugar (3/4 cup), brown sugar (1/4 cup), and maple syrup (3/4 cup). My goal would be to remove or replace these. All the rest of the ingredients I have no real concern with.

My initial thought would be to use 1/8 of a teaspoon or so of sucralose (roughly as sweet as 1 1/2 cups of sugar) but I know I would be losing out on the molasses-y flavor of the brown sugar and the maple-y flavor of the maple syrup. Could I make up for some of this with maple extract? I have some Swerve Brown as well which I could use for the brown sugar in theory.

Are all the sugars added to this solely for the sake of flavor and sweetness, or is there a preservative/food safety consideration I should be concerned about as well?

Are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

submitted by /u/Mr_Truttle
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/2UT0Cy6

Comments