Scientific reason why my double fried french fries cook better when they're frozen before the second fry?

My choice of potato and technique I feel is somewhat unconventional. For starters I use Green Giant's gold potatoes due to their subtle sweet flavor and tender insides. Prior to my current technique I'd run into issues of these particular potatoes browning too fast and not being able to hold a crispy exterior. A redditor here suggested freezing them prior to my second fry and I haven't looked back since. You get the absolute perfect balance of crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside. At this point I just wanted to know what freezing does to the potatoes that enables them to achieve my desired results.

My process:

  1. Soak fries for 30 minutes in cold water
  2. Rinse, dry, and blanche for ~5m at 300°
  3. Place on a raised wire rack and freeze for 6-8 hours or until fries are frozen solid
  4. Reheat oil to 365°
  5. Cook fries for 12m or until golden brown
submitted by /u/TKB21
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3A4AMqw

Comments