Question about "cooking" eggs when making tiramisu or carbonara...

When I watch Youtube videos or read recipes for tiramisu from actual Italians they tend to not actually heat the egg yolks it seems. Some recipes do though. Is this purely a salmonella preventative measure or does it change the taste/texture?

I just tried making a tiramisu with a sabayon/zabaglione for the first time and I think I messed up the first sabayon (it formed into a ball, basically) but the second time maybe I undercooked it. I'm not really sure.

And tomorrow night I'll be making carbonara for the first time the proper way (guanciale and egg yolks) and recipes usually say to mix the eggs with the pasta and everything in a bowl over the hot pasta water pot (or low heat) with the goal being to not scramble the eggs.

Does the heat do anything for the carbonara other than maybe melting the Romano cheese and making sure everything is warm?

Because my thinking here is that it would be easier for me to just pasteurize my eggs in the sous vide and then not have to worry about heating eggs for tiramisu at all and then I wouldn't have to keep the eggs over heat too long for the carbonara sauce either.

submitted by /u/LordGopu
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3hbqZGq

Comments