Aguachile wins again…lime cooking shrimp is proving far more difficult than I anticipated. Help appreciated!

Second time trying to recreate shrimp aguachile after having it for the first time in Mexico. So, how long do you need the shrimp to cook in the lime juice before they are safe to eat? Is there a difference between the safe time and ideal cooking time (in other words, do they need to keep cooking after the safe point to reach what you would expect at a restaurant)? Ive heard 15 minutes is the safe point but I’ve seen 20 minutes, 30 minutes, an hour, 20 minutes in line then 30-2 hours in fridge, etc. Plus half the recipes that just have “until opaque.” Please for the love of god give me some specificity…I beg you.

I know I at least need to butterfly them (first time this was the mistake); is that enough? Do they need to be cut up further?

Once they are cooked in the lime juice, do you drain before adding to marinade? Recipe specific I would think?

Lastly, on my marinade, I am trying to replicate one that was almost creamy in consistency; bright green, very little evident leaf or jalapeño on first glance. I’ve only had a ninja at my disposal, would something like a Vitamix get me there or is it a recipe issue? Thanks all!

submitted by /u/Ragnaroq314
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3uxAuEx

Comments