What am I doing wrong with my meringues?

I've been a regular baker since I was a little girl and I am not new to meringues. However, so far, I had no fancy equipment- a very rudimentary oven, my basic whisks and spatulas and my arm is all I had. My husband just gifted me a hand mixer and I decided to make meringues since I rarely made those because they require a lot of effort if you are whipping by hand. I wanted to send out boxes of treats to family and friends in these depressing times to cheer them up. I always make meringue cookies and lemon curd since they are such a perfect match! The Lemon curd has turned out divine (I am very proud) but the meringues are just refusing to turn out ok! They are turning out chewy and if I let them stay in the oven any longer, they are turning brown and still sticky to touch! What am I doing wrong here? (The recipe I use dictates 1 cup granulated sugar to 4 egg whites. Things I'm doing- egg whites are at room temperature, there is no sign of grease on any of my utensils, I'm preheating the oven at 105°c, baking for an hour at the same temp and leaving them in for an hour after to cool. I got 2 good batches with this method albeit slightly brownish in colour instead of white. But now the cookies are refusing to turn out non sticky! Please help! I really wanted to cheer up my people with these treats!)

submitted by /u/NewMrsIyer
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3u9qIJu

Comments