Plating and Flavor Combos

Hi

These is a super broad question, so I don’t know if I expect an answer.

I’m subbed to r/culinaryplating (woe is the mobile user). I know that sub is geared towards professionals, but some of the flavor combinations and plating techniques they present just seem so absurdly outside of the realm of what is commonly presented as an option for a normal home cook. How can someone who does not cook in high-end kitchens learn more about the different techniques used to both combine and build flavors to make a “high-end” dish.

I guess that’s really two questions:

1) how can I systematically approach recipe development to create new dishes that use a variety of ingredients and techniques to make something new and unique

2) how do I learn to improve my plating techniques to make my food more visually appealing.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking to become a purist. Something I feel like they gripe about a bunch over there (usually constructively though!) is starchy gloopy risotto. If someone hands me a plate of gloopy risotto though, I’d be thrilled to be eating risotto. I don’t think my dish would necessarily taste better just because I know how to plate better or cut carrots more precisely or something. I just think it would be fun to have the option to be slightly more ‘perfectionist’.

I’m looking to be able to go beyond using recipes and beyond “I vaguely know how to make dal makhani (as an example) so I’ll just riff on that with what I have in my cabinet”.

submitted by /u/AutoGeneratedContent
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3gVS5mF

Comments