Melted some plastic while cooking. Is it still safe to eat the food that was nearby?

I was cooking, and left the plastic microwave food cover on top of the stove on accident and walked off for a bit (I know...stupid). I had a pot of rice and chicken (covered) on another burner, and some sandwiches (uncovered) near the stove. When I came back I noticed it smelled like...hot glue gun glue, when I noticed that the food cover was melting on a burner. I promptly removed the microwave food cover from the stove and opened windows and the back door to air out the kitchen.

Now my question is...is it safe for me to eat the food that was nearby? There was a covered pot of rice and chicken right by the burner that the cover melted, and there were some uncovered sandwiches about four feet away. And some uncovered cupcakes about 15 feet away. What should I do with these? Is it also harmful that I breathed in these fumes? Should I go to the hospital? It’s been about ten minutes since and the smell is starting to go thankfully but still.

submitted by /u/periwinklerice
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3gQxUqe

Comments