Sugar Syrup Based Chocolate Icing Does Not Stick on Cake

I am at my wits end after two separate batches of chocolate icing turned out sideways. My recipe is essentially:

-7.2oz dark chocolate (70%)
-220ml of water
-300grs of sugar

I'm boiling the mixture together until I reach 234F (softball). The glaze is pourable for about 2-3 minutes. The top of the cake sets up just fine, but the icing slips from the sides and the cake looks like a mess.

The cake below is a four layer sponge with an orange marmalade glaze. I've cooled the cake overnight and I cooled the marmalade glaze in the fridge for 1h30mins, so I don't think it's a matter of a hot cake. I leveled the cakes and cut off the ends so I'm pretty sure the layers are even.

And yes, I know I have other options for icing cakes that are less temperature and time sensitive but my goal here is to figure out where my flaws are in the techniques, not to change my cake icing. I'm seriously at my wits end after two straight failures.

submitted by /u/luciacooks
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3lZXQ2X

Comments