In search of darker maple syrup. Sucrase wanted. Inquire within.

Problem: I have light maple syrup and I want dark maple syrup. I prefer the robust and more maple-y flavor of dark maple syrup.

My search for methods to create a darker maple syrup resulted in nothing online, although I did find that the way darker maple syrup happens is due to fermentation of the sucrose into glucose by bacteria. I want to do this artifically and I would need sucrase to do this, although the only thing I can find is Sucraid, which is sucrase but a prescription. Why I can buy amylase, maltase, dextrase, and other enzymes but not sucrase is beyond me.

My second option is to buy glucose syrup and mix it into the maple syrup and heat it up. Since the glucose isn't heat stable, it will result in some caramelization and a darker color.

I did try and heat my maple syrup up to hotter temperatures but even reaching 275F, I wasn't able to noticeably affect the color or flavor.

Does anyone have any though or advice in my search for darker maple syrup?

submitted by /u/SANPres09
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/31t1bOI

Comments