I just want to express my gratitude to this sub.

I am a culinary enthusiast and a non pro. All I know about cooking I learned from my mom as a young person (maybe 20%) and the Internet's social media as an adult (80% or more). I pride myself on being able to "connect the dots" and combine many different ways of preparing foods into something I find delicious.

Specifically, I combined my love for British Indian Restaurant cuisine with my decisively Western taste and tradition to make dishes that one can call fundamentally "Western", but which jump out and present super strong and enticing flavors to the consumer.

Last night I went to make BIR style curry for the family and somehow I ended up using too much ginger and garlic paste. The final product was overwhelmingly sour, which I attributed to ginger. I was really disappointed and was considering diluting the curry with more tomatoes and fresh peppers to bring the acidity down, but that had its own set of challenges.

Then I remembered a tip that I saw on this sub of using baking soda to lower acidity of dishes and decided to give it a shot, even though it intuitively seemed to me like a way to ruin a dish and make it taste "artificial".

Well, it worked really well. One teaspoon of baking soda and a tablespoon of brown sugar brought the curry to a really good place. I'm enjoying it now and I don't detect anything "artificial" about it.

If it wasn't for this sub, I would have likely discarded the whole pot and started from scratch again.

Thank you all who contribute your very valuable experience here.

submitted by /u/Compulsive1
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3u0cU3A

Comments