Beginner Ice Cream Advice

I recently became interested in making ice cream, and was searching for advice from somebody much more experienced than I in the art of the dessert. I experimented with my first "healthy" base today, using this recipe:

  • 240g of Greek yogurt
  • 240 mL of milk (I used 2%)
  • 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum
  • 3/4 cup of Erythritol
  • 6g of vanilla extract
  • a dash of salt

While I think that this turned out relatively good, it was much more frozen yogurty than expected (which I should have seen coming, all things considered). I think that I'm going to attempt a Philadelphia style base next, as its relatively simple, but my issue arises in the fact that its not exactly macro friendly.

This is the recipe that I was looking at:

  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tbs. vanilla extract

My question comes in the form of editing this recipe in order to be more calorie friendly; would it be ok to substitute out the heavy cream for 2 cups of milk mixed with 2-4 Tbs. of cornstarch? I understand that the fat content of the recipe has a relatively large impact on the texture of the ice cream, but would this throw it off completely? I was also planning on replacing the sugar with a cup(?) of Erythritol, in order to make up for the sweetness of the sugar.

submitted by /u/SunSquier
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3ft53aN

Comments