If you add too much of an ingredient how do you balance it out?

If a dish is too:

  • Spicy, what do I do?

  • Salty, what do I do?

  • Watery, what do I do?

  • Bitter, what do I do?

  • Sweet, what do I do?

These are the mistake I've made and how I've tried to fix them.

  • When dishes are too watery, I try to boil off the water. This has two problems: it's slow and it can over cook the ingredients.

  • Too salty - Add liquids to dilute it? Not sure here.

  • Too spicy - I added freshly ground black pepper, not realizing that freshly ground black pepper is far more intense than preground black pepper. I would estimate it is 5x to 10x more intense. It was a stir fry so I added hoison sauce to reduce the spiceness. That helped a little but it was still pretty intense.

Also, if the spiciness was from a hot pepper like jalapeno or habanero is the correction the same or different than for black pepper?

  • Too sweet and too bitter - I haven't had these problems yet but thought it would be good to include them.
submitted by /u/sooneday
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/37RKwI1

Comments