Sweet Jesus, what have I done?

So I like to make chicken stock by keeping the carcasses and bones from roast chickens and simmering them for about three days. Yes, that's 72 hours straight. The broth starts out clear, goes a sort of milky translucent, and ends up totally opaque and brown that is darker than "brown stock." Then I reduce it until it's somewhere between stock and gravy, add salt, and serve.

This results in a broth (if you can call it that) that has zero fat but a velvety mouth feel, and a deep rich flavor that reminds me of the crispy skin on a rotisserie chicken.

Surely someone has already done this and given it a name. I'd like to look it up to see if there's any way I can make it better. (I doubt that's possible, but I'm always looking to improve.)

Also I'll have pictures in a few days if anyone wants them.

Edit: Mirepoix and herbs are added when roasting the original chickens, so I've never bothered to add it to the final stock. I have a hard time believing that anything could really stand up to the flavor I'm getting but I might try a bundle of thyme on this batch. Wish me luck!

submitted by /u/oberon
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3oqciB4

Comments