How to reduce smoke when cooking on an electric stovetop?

I have two different cases here:

  1. The fire alarms in my apartment are super sensitive and go off so easily. Sometimes I am just sauteing vegetables and my fire alarm goes off despite not burning any of the veggies. I see smoke/steam coming off the pan which should be normal when sauteing vegetables, but my apartment just gets a bit hazey which tends to set off the alarm.
  2. Just tonight I was going to make a grilled cheese and turn my electric stove top to 4 (it goes up to 7 and then a high setting after that). I let it heat up for like 5 minutes and before I even put any bread onto the pan, I spray some cooking spray and a HUGE spout of smoke comes off (the cooking spray was immediately browned so that tells me the heat was too high) and blanketed my apartment in smoke (and the alarm went off). I immediately took it off the stove and turned off the heat (didn't get to make the grilled cheeses :( ). Is that just the way with electric stoves that you basically have to stay within levels 1-3?? Everytime I ever go above 3 this happens. It makes it so hard to do things like sauteing.

Is there a way to cook at higher temperatures on an electric stove top without smoke getting everywhere? Are there different cooking sprays for different temperatures so it won't burn up the moment I spray the pan? I recently got a wok and have been so excited to use but I am also terrified to use it because I feel like I will set the alarm off and won't be able to finish cooking.

submitted by /u/lordeiamlorde
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3or6wyU

Comments