[Recipe Troubleshooting] Sweet Paprika and Stockless Soups

I recently bought Cookish by Christopher Kimball some soup recipes that just use water with a lot of dried herbs has me having questions. The first recipe that I let my mom try was Chicken and Orzo soup with Garlic and Paprika. It turned out kind of bland because my mom never adds enough salt and pepper in the end and she used Smoked Paprika instead of Sweet Paprika. The recipe that I want to break down and has questions about is a Red Lentil Soup.

The recipe calls for

6 Tablespoons Salted Butter

1 Medium Yellow Onion

1 Tablespoon plus 1 Teaspoon of Sweet Paprika

2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin

1 cup Red Lentils

2 Teaspoons of Salt

Bing Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes

4 1/2 Cups of Water

So the recipe calls 3 Tablespoons of the Butter to a sauce pan with the diced onion and cooked stirring until golden brown. Then you stir in the paprika, cumin, lentils, water, and salt and let it simmer for two minutes. After that you take the three other tablespoons of butter melt it in a small skillet with the rest of the Paprika and some red pepper flakes and add that to the soup after it is done simmering.

This recipe seems like it would be a salt bomb to me, but at the same time it kind of makes sense to add a bunch of salt if you don't have a stock. My questions are does this kind of cooking have a name? Qould I be better replacing the water and salt with some chicken stock that I have? Finally what would be a good potato to add to the soup? I like red lentils and potatoes and what to give the soup some more body.

submitted by /u/Knew2Who
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3aSpmvM

Comments