Can you bake sourdough bread at or under 400F (200C)?

I often have trouble opening my oven door and getting stuff in/out. Yes, I have very weak arms.

That said, I am also scared as shit about temperatures above 400F, the range sourdough is usually baked at. Most recipes I've found require baking temps at 450 - 550F (lowered to 400 - 450), and I don't even know if my oven can go up that high. (I also don't have a food thermometer)

I mostly bake cookies or small cake-things so my oven's usually at 350 for a few minutes. Baking stuff at 500 for nearly an hour is like the final boss of baking, but I've committed to giving my grandma a loaf of sourdough for New Year's. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

submitted by /u/unlucky-stars
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/2Ma2SvT

Comments