Need help with pie dough

I’m trying to make pie dough using this recipe: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/how-to-blind-bake-pie-crust/

I followed the steps on making the dough pretty thoroughly (I thought I did at least), like keeping all the ingredients cold, and even using a pastry cutter, and using using only what I need for water.

Problems I faced making the dough: 1. the main problem is that I don’t know how much cutting I’m supposed to do with the pastry cutter. I cubed the butter and chilled it, but it’s still really hard to cut though, and it left big chunks of butter in my dough. 2. The first time I made the dough, I used the exact amount of water but I ended up with a sticky almost pasty mess, so I used maybe 1/2-3/4 of what the recipe called for in making the dough. Also, I used a half water half vodka mixture.

Problems with the dough itself: 1. As I mentioned, the dough had large (not gigantic, just some clumps bigger than pinto beans) clumps of butter in it, so when rolling out on a board the butter and dough would stick even though I chilled it for a while. 2. Cold cracking dough and warm sticky dough. The dough out of the fridge was cold and cracking, but 3 minutes later it would stick to everything even though I used less water. (I don’t live in a super humid or super dry climate in case that matters). 3. The dough would come apart easily, I didn’t lend it at all since I though that would melt the fats (warm hands) so the dough would come apart easily, but that could be attributed to the stickyness of the dough.

Any help would be appreciated, this is abnormally hard since I made pies before and I didn’t fail this abysmally

submitted by /u/GiantPlumeriaTree
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/39qr8DU

Comments