Knife maintenance German and Japanese ?

Hello so good news recently my grandparents bought me my first 2 higher end knives (for me as price as subjective) for getting into my dream college :D UnFortuanteltyI have a Shun santoku and a wusthof classic chef 8 but I have no clue to how to take care of them and too scared to use them dude to their price tag and the facts I’ve only used cheaper $10/20 Willy nilly without much care for the blades. After doing some superficial research I learnt slightly about honing but confused as if it’s also good for the Japanese knife because they apparently have some other maintenance? Saw some stuff about a wet stone for Japanese knife sharpening but does it also hone the blade? Would the wet stone be good for honing a western knife as well? I’m under the impression when stones just sharpen rather then hone? should I get a honing rod and is it only good for the German? And should I also get a whet stone but which grit would I need and what’s the difference ? Sorry lots of questions but I’m very very confused by everything

submitted by /u/villy179
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3fTUiwe

Comments