Do raw carrots and celery add anything to a marinade?

Hello! I need some help settling a debate I have with my sister.

I'll be cooking a rabbit stifado (stew with boiler onions) and I want to marinade the rabbit ahead of time. Now, most Greek recipes agree that there's no carrots or celery in the stew itself, but about half of them call for chopped carrots and celery in the marinade which are then discarded.

My argument is that neither carrots or celery would impart any flavor to the marinade because they'd be raw. I'm usually in favor of a mirepoix, but if it's not actually cooked in the stew, it's a waste of ingredients.

My sister's argument is simply that mirepoix always adds flavor even if it's raw and, therefore, will enhance the marinade.

Here's the rest of the marinade: - olive oil - red wine - vinegar - onions - garlic - bay leaves - thyme - allspice - cloves - cinnamon - salt & pepper

Thanks in advance.

submitted by /u/ThlimmenosBoufos
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3fzijZj

Comments