Why is my gremolata bitter?

Hello!
I'm currently making the Osso Buco recipe that Binging with Babish did based off of The Office.
https://www.bingingwithbabish.com/recipes/ossobuco

My veal shanks are in the oven and smell great, and I have some stuff prepped for the risotto, and got a head start and made the gremolata.
I followed the recipe given in the link, garlic (3 cloves), parsley (1/2 a bunch from the store), and lemon zest (1 and 1/3 lemon). I made sure to avoid the pith and while I'm no expert zester, I've never noticed my lemon zest bitter before. I washed all of my produce. I tore the stems off of the parsley below the leaves, but didn't pluck each leaf off. I love parsley and have never noticed any bitterness with the bit of stem I mince. I also really enjoy garlic, so the amount shouldn't be an issue based on how much raw garlic I add to my cooking (I'd have put the same amount in a half cup of garlic mayo or in 2 salads worth of vinaigrette).

I tossed the gremolata by hand and on my way to wash my hands I tasted a lick from my finger and it was suuuuper bitter. I took a spoon and tasted a bit more, and yep, the whole bowl tastes bitter. I've never made gremolata before, is it supposed to be bitter? If not, where do you guys think I went wrong?
(Thank you for reading!)

submitted by /u/Yeast-Crease
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3oIhDF5

Comments