Way too porky smell

What makes pork smell and taste really porky almost bad?

I've cooked plenty of pork in my life. In FL I want to a columbian/cuban restaurant and they served pork belly. It was fried and super porky kinda gross to me.

Today I made a Cuban roast pork shoulder and again super porky smelling.

I've also noticed this smell from some cheap pork belly I made into kimchi soup a couple of years ago.

Is there something with Cuban food that brings out the porky smell? Oranges, lime, lemon, oregano?

Or is it certain dishes usually mask the porky smell? My mom (korean) always boiled pork with ginger to remove the porky smell. Was that a cover up?

What makes it smell? It was fresh. Is it the meat or the cooking method?

submitted by /u/usernametiger
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3e6QZRl

Comments