Tl;dr: Is my flavoured bread dough dehydrated even though its sticky?

Sorry long post, breads hard, please help?

OK, so I wanted to make a spiralled bread shaped like a number 40 for my bro's birthday. I knew it might be tricky so I practiced it 2 days ago, and it went OK, but the dough was very sticky, a little dense, and I changed a few flavourings (It was made from 2 doughs: one flavoured with tomato puree + chilli flakes, one with 150g Branston pickle mixed in, both enriched with some olive oil). Today, I remade the bread, changing a few elements, and got absolutely NO rise from my dough. It simply didn't prove. And tbh the dough was very solid but I thought, well, it's had 10 mins kneading (and I was on a time limit). Now, I know my yeast works as it's the same yeast I used 2 days ago. I definitely didn't kill it with salt.

My question is: Could this be due to dehydrated dough? I added my oil and pickle/purée, then half my lukewarm water (so 125ml:450g white strong flr), and gave it a good mix, and it seemed to have incorporated all the flour and was a tad sticky even, so I didn't add more water.

Any bread gurus able to advise?

submitted by /u/NaviStreams
[link] [comments]

from AskCulinary https://ift.tt/3oQegMD

Comments